Gasping for Air by Terri Rimmer



Every day since 1992 has been a fight for air, something so many people take for granted, including some of my former friends who I have lost due to not understanding my chronic condition.

They don't understand that me being hospitalized nine times for asthma since 1992 means I can't be around smokers, not because I'm a snob, but because it's life or death.

This fight to breathe is an every day thing for me and I always have to worry if I'll have enough money to get my inhalers, which has been going on since my 20s.

I was officially diagnosed with asthma at 26 close to my first hospitalization but I was suffering from it at age 12 and actually I found out recently that my disease goes back as far as age three when my mom used to put Vapor Rub on me to help me breathe.

The only people who know the terror of the possibility of running out of  your inhaler or the panic of getting your nebulizer hooked up in time are those who suffer from asthma and other lung diseases. I have been blessed on two different occasions by friends who gave me medications for my nebulizer that I couldn't afford. And inhalers.

My fantasy if I ever have money is to open up facilities for people who need inhalers and nebulizers along with the medications so that they could obtain them for free without ever having to worry about running out. This would be worldwide.

That is why I sign every petition with the American Lung Association that comes across my email in box for cleaner air, including ones from every organization representing climate change.

My dad's widow is suffering from lung cancer and has been fighting it for over a year.

My maternal uncle died of lung cancer and I have had friend who have had that disease and COPD as well as asthma.

My birth daughter starts her sophomore year of college soon and I want a better world for her.

I'm 54 now and the older I get the more trouble I have with my asthma.

My fear has always been that I would die of this disease.

I have dreams about choking to death and I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes choking as well as have nightmares about not being able to breathe.

I truly believe climate change is the answer.

I wish for all with lung diseases to be free of not being able to breathe, particularly poor people who cannot afford their medications and live in constant fear of not being able to get their medications and the health care they need.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Birth Daughter's 20th Birthday Letter by Terri Rimmer

Recovery Journey - Part 1 of 3